Memorial services set for 2 slain journalists

Memorial services set for 2 slain journalists

The historic state capital of Annapolis is draped in grief from a shooting attack on the local newspaper, which killed journalists who chronicled soccer games, art exhibits and the fabric of small-city life.

"You know, you get up and check the Gazette phone app everyday, and you just feel like you're connected to these people", one person said. In a now-suspended Twitter feed called @EricHartleyFrnd, named after the Capital columnist who wrote about him in 2011, Ramos tweeted hundreds of times from 2011 to 2016 about the journalists and lawyers he felt had been responsible for defaming him. Feeling that he might be experiencing some problems, the woman had encouraged him to seek counseling.

Even after Ramos received a suspended sentence of 90 days in jail and 18 months on probation, Lori said that her fear for her safety prompted her to move out of Maryland and has left her permanently changed.

Amid an increasingly hostile environment for journalists in the U.S., focus fell on remarks made by Judge Maureen Lamasney when she dismissed Ramos's defamation lawsuit against the newspaper in 2013.

John McNamara, 56, pursued his dream as a sports reporter for the paper. The paper's publisher said, "We will honor our colleagues' memories by continuing our mission".

After his suit was tossed out of court in 2013, Capital Gazette attorneys and officials alerted police about "frank comments" online by Ramos directed at the newspaper and its journalists, Altomare told the briefing. The article, which was written in 2011, stated that Ramos had reached out to a former high school classmate on Facebook, asking for help because he was having some issues.

However, they also pointed out that not everyone was so kind.

Justices: No definitive ruling on partisan districts
We will fight it in the courts, we will fight it in the statehouses, we will fight it at the ballot boxes, and we will win. Conservative Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch said they would have dismissed the case outright.

The man charged with the attack, Jarrod Ramos, sued the newspaper in 2012 for defamation, then took his criticism to social media after his lawsuit was dismissed. In 2015, the court of special appeals judge upheld the ruling. He has appeared in court, and been held without bail, pending a hearing date. "It all came from a public record". The report also noted Ramos had not registered any firearms in Maryland.

Ramos had a dispute of many years with the paper over a story it had written about a criminal case against him. Five people died and two were injured before Ramos was restrained and arrested. The Balmore Sun Media Group bought the Capital Gazette in 2014.

Authorities say the shooting was an isolated, premeditated attack on The Capital. Acting Police Chief William Krampf of Anne Arundel County says it was a targeted attack in which the gunman "looked for his victims".

The mood was sombre today as Capital Gazette reporter Phil Davis read aloud the names of his five slain co-workers before those gathers began marching through downtown Annapolis. He did not exchange gunfire with officers when he was taken in.

The police bomb squad investigated a knapsack that was found near the suspected shooter and contained an unknown device.

When he was apprehended at the scene of the horrific crime in Annapolis, Ramos had no identification and seemingly would not speak to police. Though early reports indicated that Ramos had mutilated his fingers to thwart attempts to identify him, a local law enforcement official later told ABC News that an issue with the fingerprint machine ultimately made it hard to identify the suspect, and there was no mutilation. Still others have said the technology could lead to mass surveillance systems like those used in China.